Posted on by Mahir
The Government of the Republic of Turkey and its official press statement on the Bombs in Istanbul
The coverage however, by the rest of the world, in some examples,
- Turkey’s president Erdoğan has blamed a suicide bomber who entered the country through Syria for an attack on a tourist site in Istanbul that killed 10 people and left another 15 wounded.
- Nine of the victims were German according to Turkish officials. In a telephone call Prime minster Ahmet Davutoğlu told the German Chancellor Angela Merkel that most of the victims were German.
- One victim was Peruvian, foreign minister Ana María Sánchez told reporters, though she said the man had not yet been identified. She also said a Peruvian woman was wounded in the attack but in stable condition.
- Merkel said she was very concerned that German citizens were “probably” be among the victims. “International terrorism is once again showing its cruel and inhuman face,” she said.
- Turkey’s deputy prime minister, Numan Kurtulmuş, said the bomber was a 28-year-old man from Syria, though an unconfirmed report claims the bomber came from Saudi Arabia.
- Officials said they believed the attack on the Sultanahmet area was the work of the Islamic State militants. No group has claimed responsibility so far.
- Police sealed off the area near the Blue Mosque. A broadcast ban was also imposed.
- Britain, the US, EU and Nato were condemned the attack. Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, described it as “brutal terrorist attack”, and the American official heading the fight against Isis said the US will “Stand with the people of Turkey in our common fight”.